We all do it. It's the holiday season and it's easy to put your health second. From Thanksgiving to New Years I always find myself a little less strict with my usual regimen. For a decent five to six weeks it feels like life is more chaotic than usual, but not in a bad way. There is nothing I love more than the holiday season. I love shopping for others and the gift of giving. But that should also not be the reason I don't prioritize myself.
It's just as easy to get back on your schedule as it is to fall off. Holiday parties with drinking and catered food, family parties and just the nonstop chaos of the holidays keeps you in constant motion. Here are a few ways to keep you on track and aligned with your goals this holiday season.
1. Always have water on you. Keep yourself hydrated through out the day as your body needs it.
2. Always keep a protein bar in your bag/car. With the constant shopping and running around, sometimes we forget to eat. Don't let yourself become "hangry" and binge on something you may regret.
3. Have your caffeine. For me I love either green tea or black coffee. It gives me energy, curbs my appetite a bit and is a natural diuretic.
4. When eating out or at a party, eat something before hand. Have a protein shake or a small meal so you aren't completely famished going into an event that may not have food you want to eat.
5. Also when eating out, if you don't have the option to eat before hand- think more consciously before you dig in. Remember the balanced plate you should have during every meal. Load up on vegetables, proteins and healthy carbs (if you can find that). Or get creative if it's slim pickings.
6. Alcohol can be tricky since you're literally drinking your calories. Pick your favorite liquor (for me its tequila) pair it with seltzer and a bunch of fruits like lime, lemon, orange, whatever the bartender has to offer and muddle it in. It tastes delicious and the calories are few especially compared to something like a margarita.
7. Keep your stress level down. I know this one can be tough with the overall stress of the holidays. Between your regular day to day life plus shopping for gifts, cooking and so on, a lot can pile up quickly. My suggestion is do online shopping and get it all shipped right to your door step! (If this is something that stresses you out, of course). My other biggest suggestion is make time for yourself. Give yourself alone time everyday, whether it's your tea time in the morning, taking a fitness class, or simply watching your favorite tv show. You need to give yourself time to unwind.
8. Keep only good food in the house. If you aren't the person who does the food shopping for your family make a list of things you want to be able to snack or make for meals. If you are the one food shopping don't tempt yourself by purchasing the foods that will make you fall off the wagon again.
9. When you're making your list of foods to cook for the holidays whether you host or just bring a dessert, make it healthy! Pinterest is my go to for healthy recipes. There are so many alternatives to classic dishes that still taste amazing and delicious. Plus everyone enjoys a healthy and delicious dish.
10. Enjoy the holiday! Life comes and goes so quickly. Just enjoy yourself. Enjoy shopping, cooking, spending time with family and friends. After all the holidays are all about spending time with your loved ones.
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.