You know what I truly hate? Being deprived of something I want. If its food, seeing someone I love or just sleep, I try to eliminate deprivation from my life. And on Saturday night, I definitely didn't deprive myself. Upon taking my boyfriend out for his birthday dinner, I told myself I would eat what I was in the mood for, not what I felt I needed to eat. And so I did. We ordered the bang bang shrimp for starters to go along side my very dirty martini. A couple of days later I started to crave the appetizer that was filled with a punch of spicy, a little bit sweet and a lot of calories. I figured I could easily re-create the recipe but to fit my healthier standards. I searched around for a few different options and this is what I came up with!
Skinny bang bang shrimp
1 lb of shrimp peeled and deveined
3 tablespoons of plain greek yogurt
3 tablespoons of green onions
1 1/2 tablespoons of sweet Thai chili sauce
1/2 teaspoon of Sriracha
1 cup of panko bread crumbs (optional)
1 cup of coconut flour (optional)
1 egg white
1. Mix in a bowl the greek yogurt, onions, chili sauce and sriracha.
2. Toss shrimp in a bowl with the coconut flour
3. Then toss shrimp in egg white (just to get slightly wet)
4. Toss shrimp in panko bread crumbs
5. Cover shrimp with sauce (leave half on the side)
6. Place on a baking sheet and cook at 350 degrees for 5-10 minutes.
7. Brush the shrimp over with the sauce
(Steps 2, 3, and 4 are all optional- if you want to make the dish gluten free)